Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Blog 11: How Do I Want Others to Evaluate My Simulated Teaching?

Hello again, everyone! I have done my simulated teaching last week. I had chosen the play, A Streetcar Named Desire for my teaching because to me, the play is quite simple to understand. (I would like to thank Ira for being my teaching partner!) Before I do my simulated teaching, I always wonder what my friends (friends= students= evaluator) would say about my teaching. Do they would understand my instructions? Are my exercises too difficult or too easy for them to answer? Is my extract of the play appropriate to portray the characters’ traits? These are some of the questions that keep popping up in my head.
How do I want others to evaluate my simulated teaching? First of all, I would like all of you to know that I am not good at teaching. I still have stage fright when doing any presentation.
There are several aspects that I want my friends to take a good look at when I do my simulated teaching. For the set induction stage, I want to know whether the activity that I do is interesting to the students. From the peer evaluation checklist, I have found out that some of them find my set induction is interesting and quite plenty of them said it was too boring. Come to think of it, it is true that my set induction is boring because I did the same old thing over and over again which is showing some pictures (this time around, I use myself and Ira as the models- we got a bit technical problem that morning!) and asked the students to describe us. Cik Siti Norbaiti said that it is good for us to do something different, but the problem with using ourselves as models is that, we are subjected to criticism which will later lead to humiliation. I have to agree with her as I would never have thought that might happen to me if she does not tell me. The next aspect that I consider is whether my extract and exercises are all related to one another and appropriate for my students. Most of them said that they were okay. Well, I cannot say much about the exercises because we (Ira and I) did them in a short period of time. Last but not least, I want them to consider about the instruction that I gave, the language that I used and also my voice projection. Most of them said that my voice is too soft. Other than that, they said that everything else was okay; my language has few grammatical errors and my instructions are easy to understand.
To me, the peer evaluation checklist is very important because from it, I got all the comments from everyone in my class. With it, I know my strength and my weaknesses and I try to improve myself from time to time. I hope that I can give my very best during my teaching practice in 2 years time.

No comments: